
Part of my growing willingness to consider the UK (which is how we got moving to be able to end up in Scotland) stemmed from a unique experience at a party of a friend in LA.
Lately, we feel so far from our friends in LA. All our lives continue day-to-day. For many of us, our fellowship was only ever established by the constant contact. Over time this intimacy fades. I sometimes mourn the loss of relationships.
Then when I feel sad for myself and my family, I see this picture of boys in dirt and sand by the river Spey and God brings the memory of the tree root in LA. He speaks to me of my heart's desire in a moment when I wasn't particularly asking God to help me in any special way.
Now, I know there are rivers in CA that are not paved over. This scene could have come from somewhere pretty near LA. But isnt it cool that while God is using the willing, that He is willing to bless along the way! Its no big deal to God to stop in a moment and say "I saw you when you were under the fig tree" 'I care about what you care about'; 'I'm here'; 'This is all really happening'; 'I am with you'
I peeked at the end of the story and God wins. But there is also victory along the way!
The party overflowed into the yard and while we all milled about chatting, my son Daniel crouched down and tried to pick up the root of a tree as if it were a stick. "Sad urban child" I thought :) Then I taught him something new about roots and sticks and got on with life.
But it highlighted a desire in my heart to see boys as future scouts, hunting frogs by the river, learning to respect and eventually fire a 22 at a potato at 30 yards, camping out on random hills, etc...
I didnt know God would lure us to Scotland with hopes for urban Edinburgh and land us in rural Alva to bless our socks off! And we couldn't have planned it this well.
Lately, we feel so far from our friends in LA. All our lives continue day-to-day. For many of us, our fellowship was only ever established by the constant contact. Over time this intimacy fades. I sometimes mourn the loss of relationships.
Then when I feel sad for myself and my family, I see this picture of boys in dirt and sand by the river Spey and God brings the memory of the tree root in LA. He speaks to me of my heart's desire in a moment when I wasn't particularly asking God to help me in any special way.
Now, I know there are rivers in CA that are not paved over. This scene could have come from somewhere pretty near LA. But isnt it cool that while God is using the willing, that He is willing to bless along the way! Its no big deal to God to stop in a moment and say "I saw you when you were under the fig tree" 'I care about what you care about'; 'I'm here'; 'This is all really happening'; 'I am with you'
I peeked at the end of the story and God wins. But there is also victory along the way!
1 comment:
Cool post. I sometimes think the same thing when I think about moving home to Texas - or better yet, forgoing the suburban life (which I had my fair share of bayous and forests) of Houston and just living on some land in Texas.
But when I get sad thinking of the not-so-kid-friendly environment we'll eventually be bringing children into, I wonder where we'll ultimately end up. Because I'm not so sure it's Texas, and I'm not so sure it's permenantely LA. And then I'm doubly reminded of our lives just representing tents - we're just passing through.
We've got a blog now too, so you can keep up with us former LA friends regularly (you know, in all your spare time)...
Praying for you guys!
Post a Comment