Saturday, 3 October 2009

Autumn

The world is pitching and heaving!
There is so much going on with kingdom significance.

I could start with the Family Club that served kids and their parents last night. We had a sports medicine educator come and speak to kids about strength and fitness, specifically, warming up before exercise. Then we played some games pertaining to the life of Daniel and showed a bit of an animated feature on the life of Daniel.

We also have seen the Kids' Church grow with unlikely additions from the neighbourhood kids. Partly as a result of the outreach but also, I think, resulting from the sincere love that God has placed in our hearts for this community. We know its all God, and Jesus saves. And yet, we know He insists on His church 'carrying the arc into battle'. Andrew introduced Peter, didn't he?

Our coffee morning gathers 10 or 20 people together on a Wednesday. At this gathering, we are positioned to get to know and pray for our neighbours. We feed free tea/coffee and cakes and allow for a donation toward costs, but really we love on these mostly retired folks and moms with small children.

On October 25th we start our 'One Day Through the Bible' Study.
4 Sundays, from 3-5pm, through the main plot of the whole Bible.

Please keep praying for our family and the work!

The world is watching the news, our neighbours look to the front office to see if their jobs are in danger, our children are reading our faces to discern the meaning of things and the Lord is refining His church for the harvest!

Do you see that the time is here when the judgement is begining with the house of God?

I suppose it is possible that this is merely a projection of my own autobiography onto this blank screen of a blog, but outch! Lord!? May I please just agree with You and be seared with a coal from your alter, already!!?

I am convicted that the work in my heart is for public consumption. Your responses over the last few months have expressed encouragement and support and even relief that others are going through refining fire; relief that you are not the only one.

Still, when we ask 'How are you today' we don't really want our neighbours to unpack their emotional baggage. But I am being seriously smelted here!

I am really coming to grips with the rebellious nature I have held-onto in my Christian walk. As if Christianity was a rebellion from the world system. Then I, as a rebel from the world, affiliated with others; IN REBELLION. I am convicted that I was, until recently, on any team because we both were against the Devil! I reflect on my past Christian service with grief! I am seriously convicted that it was mostly in vain, except that my deepest desire was to serve God. I am called to serve God, to line-up under His authority. And affiliating with people submitted to Him is proving to be challenging. Christians everywhere, but so many rebels; so many angry lone rangers; so few men of God. Are any of us?

This last year of my life has been increasingly characterized by conviction and repentance. This is so NOT fun. I am a poor man. I am undone. Dont feel sorry for me, I was like this when you knew me. In me dwelleth NO good thing.

Everything is on the block. My neck, my marriage, my children, my ministry; the pronoun tells the story: none of these are mine! God took me to the backside of the desert to slap me to the wheel. (to mix two biblical metaphores)

I told God I was ready for an adventure.
He agreed.
But oh, what important realities are not in the recruitment brochures for Christian service!

Many admired the courage of our setting out.
You all knew I had character flaws when I left.
But I am here to say that the depth of God's work has gone beyond what I ever wanted to admit or face. This could easily kill me if I hold on to anything of myself as God blasts it away.

Its not like I was in secret sin or something; I am just convicted (with a diminishing sense of grace) about the absence of a heart for the fullness of God's spirit to bring forth love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, gentleness, faithfulness and self control. God has raised the bar and every time I dont clear it I am getting thumped! And I am better for it, but things look pretty bruised right now. Please pray for us!

God wants us to lift HOLY hands.
Are you holy? Did you think you could leave that part out?
I stand before the solar wind of God's refining fire and more of me is burning off than I bargained for. Is anybody else really, really, REALLY going through this?

Please pray for us.
There is fruit and the Gospel is preached.

Honestly, Satan is like 'just quit, you're a mess' and I almost could.
Except there is nothing else I will ever do besides preach the gospel.

My family and I need your prayers to see God transform this man into the holy man He can use to reach: his family, people in Alva, and perhaps even Clackmannanshire, Scotland, Europe and the world. But I am in the way and we need your prayers as God is already well into the surgery.
- Elective Soul Surgery

Please pray for us.

3 comments:

8675309 said...

Hang in there, Dave. He is faithful, even if you are not. Even if NO ONE ELSE is faithful, He is faithful.

Praying for you & Liz & the kids & Alva.

Christy T. said...

Praying!

FirstLove said...

This from a friend:

http://ls.egen.net/MessageView.aspx?sid=167792797&cid=167772777&textonly=0