Sunday, 26 September 2010

Autumn



Last night was 4 degrees Celsius! I love the change of seasons.
This summer was great weather, though you wouldn't get that if you were asking a Scot.

Apparently there was this summer in 1963 or there abouts that set the standard for all expectation. I don't think those people check with the farmers to calibrate their prayers for sunshine! ;)





Please pray for our family as our marriage is still rocky and it is hard to keep to a hope that as God works this all out to His glory, it will also work out for our family. Liz has discontinued counseling, has moved into a flat with the boys. She is not communicating, except through texts and emails that do not address our marriage, but just insist on basic coordination of schedules. She has opened her own bank account and is attending another church on the Sundays when she has the boys. When I have the boys, she comes to Alva and watches them while I conduct the service until the kids go off for children's church.

If you know Liz, please reach out to her. She needs your support.

I considered leaving ministry all together but I am convinced that this will not affect Elizabeth's decisions. I have asked her what she wants and she isnt able to articulate an answer. If she came to me today and asked me to, I suppose I would. But for now, I am honouring the standing orders to answer the call to preach and pastor. I don't love the job more than my wife though.

My soul aches.

We are on track for the new year. I calculate mine from September to August. We have started a new Finance Course based on a model developed by Christians Against Poverty. It's basically budgeting and cash accounting. There is an option for distressed individuals to seek debt counseling, but we are just focused on a three-week diagnostic tool presented alongside the gospel.

Jesus met the woman at the well and we are meeting people at their checking accounts.

The Chaplaincy and Christian Club are running strong. We just ran a 10 week Discipleship Course for Teenagers that was very successful. Lots of the kids were from other churches, so it was a bit 'catch and release' for this fisher of men. We are building relationships with the churches around here. As long as the gospel is preached and these kids are discipled, Jesus is glorified and we are fulfilling the great commission. (Mat 28:18-20)

Seriously, at one point, I explained that having sex with a person to whom you are not married is called "fornication" and three jaws drop, one kid yawns and this one chick says "Oy I thought fornication was when you do it with a foreign guy!?" Hilarious! Tragic!

Not just kids. Suddenly, I find that my neighbours are open to conversations about Jesus and salvation. Pray for Richard, a man who recently had a stroke and then fell out of bed and broke his back. He is not an old man. His ailments slowed him down and I spoke with him walking with a walker by our home. I shared the gospel, walked away and God prompted me to come back and ask him if he wanted to be forgiven just like we had talked about. He agreed and we prayed and I was able to assure him that forgiveness resulted. Now if only we could get him into church. People are sooooo damaged by religion here.

Pastoring is hard work.

This is a post-Christian nation with a religious disposition that functions like 'spiritual contraception' to the life of Christ. Keep praying for this brazen American evangelist to speak light and life into the hearts of people in Alva. And that I would not see my family sacrificed on the altar of ministry. (Luke 9:23-24)

No comments: